Antrim's history is tightly interwoven with the history of its churches.
The town was settled by Scotch-Irish Presbyterians who emigrated to Londonderry and then on to Antrim. From the beginning, religion played an important role in the town's growth and development. At Antrim's second Town Meeting in 1778, the residents voted to raise $32 for "preaching".
The first community building in Antrim, the Meeting House, was raised in 1785. This is the first meeting place of the Presbyterian congregation which was incorporarted in 1788. To understand the importance of this building to the community, you must know that at the time Antrim's homes were mere log cabins, with only one frame house in town. It was three years before even the first store was built.
Antrim's Presbyterian Congregation now meets in the Main Street Church built in 1893. This is among the oldest continuously active Presbyterian congregations in the United States.
The Antrim Baptist Church, at the center town, was built in 1871, one of the first major buildings in the new "South Village." The first meetings of this congregation were in Greenfield in 1805.
Over the ensuing years, other denominations have established themselves in Antrim and formed a vital part of the community.
Catholic, Methodist, Lutheran, Congregational and many other churches are located throughout the Monadnock Region.
More information on Antrim's churches, past and present, can be found in A Stroll through Antrim's Changing Landscape: South Village. This award-winning publication was researched, written and photographed by Great Brook School 5th graders in 2000.