Antrim Conservation Commission Notes:
Meeting: January 26, 2005 at Antrim Town Hall 7PM
Peter Beblowski, Rod Zwirner, Linda Bryer and Chris Stephenson
Absent: Melissa Chapman, Pat Webber and Peter Moore
1. December Meeting notes accepted by attendees.
2. Annual Report was discussed and accepted. PB to forward to Paul Vasquez/Bill Prokop and the NH Association of Conservation Commissions.
3. The Campbell Pond Easement was discussed. Things continue to move forward slowly. Melissa & Peter to finish GPS survey when weather moderates. Date(s) to be set, hopefully before March . Monadnock Conservancy (MC) land manager Kristen Grubbs is on extended leave until March. PB will get easement comments to her before then. Also MC executive director, Richard Ober and Jeff Porter from SWRPC will be talking about Conservation Easement (CE) to the Open Space Committee on February 15, 2005 at Town Hall. All are urged to attend. You are also encouraged to invite anyone you know who might be interested or have questions about CE's to attend.
4. PB contacted Town about proper street map for New Town website: www.antrimnh.org as requested by Carol Webber.
5. Breezy Point Condo Assoc. Moose Plate Grant Application was discussed. Interaction and recommendations to the grant app. were made by PB. Final grant app not submitted by BPCA to date.
6. Meadow Marsh Land Rod to start developing a plan for the Meadow Marsh Land. Rod working on new trail guide. Trail was snow-shoed last week by Rod. Refrigerator & other solid waste to be picked up by Town in the spring.
7. PB attended Rec Land Committee meetings this past month. West Street area land has some good conservation land qualities and is being actively pursued. PB urged commission members and all interested parties to attend the Public Information meeting in mid February.
8. Conservation Award is not going to be awarded this year. However LB to bring award down to Town Hall for public display.
9. ZBA no longer hearing/issuing Special Exception Permits for Wetland Buffer Encroachments.
New Letter to Planning Board discussed and accepted. PB to discuss with P Vasquez and send if appropiate.
10. Next Hike: Lily Pond/Meetinghouse Hill Trail Hike: Pending date & time to be determined upon availability.
11. Rod to continue to try to contact Paul Whittemore about a trail easement for the Balancing Rock/Bald Mtn Trail.
12. Peter B to contact B Prokop about setting a meeting up with the Lauber's regarding formal walking easement into Campbell Pond.
13. Open Space Committee a). Report from Rod, 2nd meeting went well. Aerial photo mosaic looks good. Rod putting together a land questionnaire. PB to email Rod ACC questionnaire received from Upper Saco Valley Land Trust.
14. Wetland and other Permits needing attention:
i. Boucher Application - Bounced back by Wetlands Bureau 10/13/04
ii. Zimmerman Excavation Expansion-Pending.????
iii. Knapton Subdivision -NHDES letter allows for extension of deadline on providing info on how logging impacts will be fixed? Info due on or before February 25, 2005.
iv. Zebrwitz (Pierce Lake Area) permit app. discussed. According to photos provided, bank appears increadiably stable. Some undercutting is ongoing but shore vegetation holding together well. We do not see the need for rip rap! It is overkill. Letter to be sent to NHDES to request additional scrutiny of this application. .
15. Bruce Edes Forest still pending. Brian Beihl of Antrim- Bennington Boy Scouts contacted Bennington CC, John Manley. BCC glad for ACC interest, however, some administrative loose ends need to be tied up before it moves forward. CS to keep in touch after March Town meeting, to see how we may help project.
16. Commission received an invoice for $20 from the Contoocook & North Branch River LAC. PB to forward to Town Administrator.
17. Area Hikes, Lectures & Other Activities:
" Jan. 29 The Aurora Borealis and the Winter Sky @ Harris Center - The Northern Lights or Aurora Borealis are one of nature's most spectacular natural phenomena and occasionally can be seen here. Bring warm clothing and binoculars. Time/place: 7 pm at the Center.
" Jan 30 The TNC's Loveren's Mill Cedar Swamp Preserve Hike - Departs at 9 am ends at noon.
" Feb. 3 Self-Portrait with Turtles-An Evening with Naturalist David Carroll at Fox State Forest at 7 pm to 8:30 pm To register contact Trish at 224-9945 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
" Friday, February 4, 9 a.m.-9 p.m. & February 5, 2005 9 a.m.-4 p.m. New Hampshire Farm & Forest Exposition @ Center of NH - Radisson Hotel Manchester(formerly the Center of NH-Holiday Inn) http://www.nhfarmandforestexpo.org/index.html
" Feb. 26 Exploring the Andorra Forest's Wildcat Hollow with Harris Center - Hike this 2,650-acre designated wilderness area northwest of Taylor Pond. For this moderately strenuous outing, meet leader Kim Faulkner with Jim Orr and Roger and Ann Sweet at 9 am at the Pitcher Mountain parking lot on Route 123 west of Stoddard village. Ends by 3 pm.
Next Meeting: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 at 7 PM at Town Hall.