The following history of the James A. Tuttle Library is excerpted from A Stroll Through Antrim's Changing Landscape, South Village, written in 2000 by the fifth-graders of Great Brook School.
The library is a Colonial Revival style building with a wooden double door in the front and a low-pitched hip roof. The walls are brick and the foundation is stone. It has had no major changes since it was built in 1908. The building was designed by Edwin R. Clark of Lowell, Massachusetts, and payment vouchers indicate it was probably built by James Whitlet.
When James A. Tuttle died, he gave the $12,000 to the town for a new library. After a lot of fighting about whether or not building and maintaining a library would be too expensive, the town decided to add $1000 to Tuttle's money to establish a free public library. Previously, people had to pay $1.50 a year to use the library maintained by "The Antrim Library Association."
The library maintained a Bible. Whenever someone in the town was born, married, or died, they put the names in the Bible.
Children at one time could not talk in the library. All children's books were on shelves under the windows. In the 1930s, Nancy Drew and similar series were popular.
The Antrim Woman's Club met upstairs. the women had to wear fancy hats which were adorned with feathers, glitters, and other decorations.
The second floor now houses the Antrim Historical Society.