Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.

Antrim Community
Meetings Calendar
Hours & Contacts
Town Departments
Parks & Recreation
James Tuttle Library
Business Directory
Subscribe to News
Send Us Comments
Home Page

Site  This Folder
Advanced Search

Selectmen's Meeting Minutes 11/24/08
Town of Antrim – Board of Selectmen
Meeting Minutes
November 24, 2008

The meeting was called to order at 5:00 p.m. by Chairman of the Board of Selectmen Michael Genest in the Little Town Hall at the Antrim Town Hall.

Members Present:        Michael Genest, Steve Schacht, and Gordon Webber.

Staff Present:  Neal Cass (Town Administrator).

Media Present:  Michael Pon, The Villager.

1.  Approval of Minutes
           VOTE:  Selectman Schacht moved that the minutes of the November 17, 2008 meeting be accepted as printed.  Selectman Webber seconded the motion.  There being no further discussion, Chairman Genest call for the vote.  All members voted in favor and the Chairman declared the motion carried.

2.  Appointment with Jim Bouchard and Lisa Martin from Quantum Engineering.
·       Ms. Martin presented information concerning options for the replacement of the North Branch Bridge.  One option includes the replacement of the bridge and one includes upgrading River Road.  The upgrade to River Road would include raising the road six feet, building retaining walls, and cutting back the banking to widen the road.  Because River Road would be the only way in, Stacey Hill Road would have to be upgraded also, so the total cost would be $1.8 million.  The cost to upgrade River Road to a new road to be built would be $1.2 million.  The cost of a new bridge is estimated to be $900,000.  Also to be considered, if River Road is upgraded, there would also have to be upgrades to the Route 9/River Road intersection which are not included in the costs.  There will be a Historic Report prepared for the area.  A public informational meeting will be held to gather input from the property owners in the area.  Selectmen are leaning toward the new bridge option.
·       The Bennington Bridge guardrail work is ready to go out to bid.
·       North Main Street is behind schedule and over budget.  The Board agreed that work should continue and the extra $24,000 for winter conditions should be added.  Quantum is working with the contractor to determine the amount of a change order to account for unforeseen circumstances.
·       Quantum will provide the Town Administrator with updated costs for upcoming projects for budget purposes.

3.  Appointment with Recreation Director Celeste Lunetta and Parks & Recreation Committee members Sam Harding, and Ron Haggett.
·       Those assembled discussed the lifeguards.  No one works alone and it may be possible to have the second person be an attendant rather than a lifeguard.  Hours and days worked could be adjusted.  Presently, those wishing to become lifeguards volunteer hours the year before.  The Parks & Recreation Committee will review the numbers at their next meeting and meeting again with the Select Board on December 15.
·       Selectmen will review the proposal for the tractor after they have received the recommendations of the CIP Committee.

4.  Visit from resident Al Gould.
Mr. Gould shared his concern over the $700 increase in his tax bill.  He stated that the Town can not afford many of the things that it is doing and that the only improvement in town that has been worthwhile is the rescue squad.  Chairman Genest expressed his appreciation to Mr. Gould for coming and sharing his concern with the Board.

5.  Appointment with Librarian Kathy Chisholm and Library Trustees
·       Selectmen stated that they would like to see raises no higher than 2% and are allotting a total budget of $130,000 to the library.  They are aware that the new building is an unknown so the request isn’t for a reduced budget, but a level budget.
·       The Library Trustees handed out sheet showing different configurations of their budget and a sheet showing the value of the services they offer.
·       The library has 1 fulltime staff member and part-time staff working hours equaling 1.75 fulltime people.
·       Selectmen Webber stated that he would like to see no increases for any staff.
·       Librarian Chisholm is working with Police Chief Scott Lester to determine a policy on outside use of the library wireless network.

6.  Visit from Police Chief Scott Lester.
·       Chief Lester said he could postpone replacing the Expedition from 2009 to 2010, but was concerned about how the additional maintenance cost could affect his budget.
·       Chief Lester updated the Board on staffing and the progress toward being full staffed.

7.  Purchasing Policy.
Selectmen are in favor of the concept as presented and will further review the draft policy for discussion at their next meeting.

8.  Town Administrator updates.
·       Town Planner Bradley Houseworth and Deputy Town Clerk/Tax Collector Joyce Davison have submitted their resignation.  Mr. Houseworth will be returning to Michigan to join his families business.  His resignation is effective December 26.  Administrator Cass is reviewing the job description and preparing an advertisement for the position.  Mrs. Davison’s resignation is effective at the end of the year and Town Clerk/Tax Collector Donna Hanson is preparing and advertisement.
·       Conval is working to renegotiate the contract for oil which could substantially save the Town.
·       The Town Administrator will schedule a public hearing concerning the removal of funds from the Bridge Maintenance CRF, as required, for North Main Street.
·       The CIP Committee will be presenting its recommendations to the Board of Selectmen and Planning Board at 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, December 18, 2008 in the Little Town Hall.
·       The Town Administrator will talk to the Maplehurst about a holiday party for all staff, board and committee members, and their families.  There will be no cost to the Town.
·       Selectmen will review the information concerning Pierce Lake access and Breezy Point Condominium Association.

There being no further business, the Board decided by consensus to adjourn at 8:35 p.m.   The next meeting will be Monday, December 8, 2008 at 5:00 p.m.

Recorder:  Neal A. Cass
Date:  November 26, 2008


Town of Antrim, NH P.O. Box 517, 66 Main Street Antrim, NH 03440
Phone: (603) 588-6785    Fax: (603) 588-2969    Monday - Thursday 8:00am - 4:00pm
Virtual Towns & Schools Website