Town of Antrim – Board of Selectmen
December 29, 2008
The meeting was called to order at 5:00 p.m. by Chairman of the Board of Selectmen Michael Genest in the Little Town Hall at the Antrim Town Hall.
Members Present: Michael Genest, Steven Schacht and Gordon Webber.
Staff Present: Neal Cass (Town Administrator), Matt Henry (Intern)
Media Present: Michael Pon- The Villager, Josh Bond – Monadnock Ledger-Transcript.
1. Approval of Minutes
VOTE: Selectman Schacht moved that the minutes of the December 15, 2008 meeting be accepted as printed. Selectman Webber seconded the motion. There being no further discussion, Chairman Genest called for the vote. All members voted in favor and the Chairman declared the motion carried.
2. Diversion Program Update
Chairman Genest will set up the required appointments for the meeting next week.
3. Storm Review
A small group meeting will be set up to review the way the Town handled the recent storm. A public forum will then be held to gather public input.
4. Appointment with Lisa Martin and Jennifer Rycek from Quantum Engineering and
Scott Burnside from Landsite Corp. RE: North Main Street Bridge.
· Ms. Martin informed the Board that she and Mr. Burnside had reviewed all the numbers and had come to an agreement o the amount of the change orders that would be requested. She presented two to the Board, one for winter conditions and one for the added crane time and additional rock removal.
· Ms. Martin said that she would provide the Town with a draft letter to CSI concerning the problems on their part including the delay in drawings and delivery.
· Part of the project delay was caused the timing of PSNH moving the poles, but that did not in any way affect CSI and their ability to deliver on time.
· Selectmen questioned the notification process and when the Town was made aware of the over-runs. The contractor only proceeded with engineering approval.
· The DOT method of calculating costs was used to determine the amounts that would be in the Change Order.
· Ms. Martin said that DOT will review the proposed Change Orders and no issues are anticipated from their review. They will cover 80% of the cost.
· Selectmen will discuss at their next meeting whether the bridge will be opened for the winter. Mr. Burnside said that the only additional cost to work through the winter would be snow removal.
· Ms. Martin said that there is no difference in the scope of work provided by the engineers for this project versus the White Birch Point Bridge which was not municipally managed. Quantum was paid to serve as the general contractor for the North Main Street bridge.
· Items Remaining open:
o Selectmen will review the Change Order
o Underwood Engineering will review the proposed drainage changes.
o Quantum will send information concerning CSI.
o Selectmen will review the timeline of events.
5. Appointment with Police Chief Scott Lester.
Chief Lester presented his plan to build a new Police Station on the site where the Fire Station is located. His plan rectified all the concerns with the present Police Station. The Chief believes the plan will meet the needs of the Town for 30 years. Selectman Schacht will gather information to obtain drawings.
6. Vote of encumber funds
VOTE: Selectman Webber moved that the $38,500 approved at the March 2008 Town Meeting for engineering on Pleasant Street be encumbered into 2009. Selectman Schacht seconded the motion. There being no further discussion, Chairman Genest called for the vote. All members voted in favor and the Chairman declared the motion carried.
There being no further business, the Board decided by consensus to adjourn at 7:45 p.m. The next meeting will be Monday, January 5, 2009 at 5:00 p.m.
Recorder: Neal A. Cass
Date: January 5, 2009