Town of Antrim – Board of Selectmen
August 17, 2009
The meeting was called to order at 5:00 p.m. by Chairman of the Board of Selectmen Stephen Schacht in the Little Town Hall at the Antrim Town Hall.
Members Present: Steven Schacht, Gordon Webber, and Michael Genest
Staff Present: Neal Cass (Town Administrator)
Media Present: Josh Bond-Monadnock Ledger Transcript, Michael Pon-The Villager.
1. Acceptance of the minutes of previous Board of Selectmen meeting.
VOTE: Selectman Webber moved that the minutes of the August 3, 2009 Board
of Selectmen meeting be accepted as printed. Selectman Genest
seconded the motion. There being no further discussion, Chairman
Schacht called for the vote. All members voted in favor and the
Chairman declared the motion carried.
VOTE: Selectman Genest moved that the minutes of the August 3, 2009 Board of Selectmen Non-public Session be accepted as printed. Selectman Webber seconded the motion. There being no further discussion, Chairman Schacht called for the vote. All members voted in favor and the Chairman declared the motion carried.
2. Recognition of Officer Brian Lord
Police Chief Scott Lester presented Officer Brian Lord with a certificate of recognition for completing the Police Standards and Training Academy in the top three of his class.
3. Member Updates
A letter has been sent to the Barsanti’s and the Town is awaiting a response.
4. ZBA Alternate Openings
The Board requested the Town Administrator to post the openings on the ZBA to obtain a pool of possible candidates.
5. Police Station Advisory Committee Report
The Committee presented their report recommending the Antrim Mill location as the best alternative. After creating a map of where police calls take place and listening to citizens input, the consensus is that the station should be located in the downtown. It appears that the mill site would also be less expensive than building a new building on another site. They also noted that the mill is a “superb” super structure in good shape and there is noting else comparable in the downtown. Selectmen thanked the committee for their hard work.
6. Meeting with Rev. Charles and Madeline Boucher concerning 1 Smith Road
Rev. Boucher thanked the Board for undertaking the North Main Street project. He stated that his home belonged to Governor Goodell and was originally over 2000 acres. He shared his concern over the way the Smith Road, North Main Street, and Goodell Road intersection is laid out.
- The Bouchers agreed to the temporary road and to have trees taken down because they wanted North Main Street repaired and out of consideration for the Town.
- They were not aware that the temporary road was to be paved and didn’t know there would be construction parking near their property.
- They are concerned about tractor trailers using Goodell Road.
- Feel that the Town agreed to put back the area to the way it was prior to construction and now the Town wishes to expand the intersection.
- Concerned that the shoulder of the road was hard-packed during the construction.
- Stated that whether or not the Town has a legal right to expand the intersection, it is not the correct moral action.
The Board reviewed a map prepared by Rev. Boucher. Selectmen said they would review the situation and the layout information for the roads involved and invite the Bouchers back within a month. The Bouchers agreed and thanked the Board for its time.
7. Limrik Article
The quarterly Board of Selectmen article will be written in advance so that all Board members have an opportunity to read it before it is submitted.
8. Police Station Work
The Town Administrator will set up a tour of Antrim Mill for the Board of Selectmen.
9. Non-public Session – RSA 91-A: 3 II (b) Hiring of public employee
VOTE: Selectman Webber moved that the Board of Selectmen enter into Non-Public session under the provision of RSA 91-A: 3 II (b). Selectman Genest seconded the motion. Chairman Schacht called for the vote. Selectman Webber, Schacht and Genest voted in favor and the Chairman declared the motion carried (3-0).
The Board entered Non-Public Session at 6:45 p.m. returning to open session at 7:15 p.m.
VOTE: Selectman Genest moved that the minutes of the just concluded Non-Public Session be sealed. Selectman Webber seconded the motion. There being no further discussion, Chairman Schacht called for the vote. All members present voted in favor and the Chairman declared the motion carried.
There being no further business, the Board decided by consensus to adjourn at 7:16 p.m. Road Agent interviews will be scheduled for next week and the next regular meeting will be Monday, August 31, 2009 at 5:00 p.m.
Recorder: Neal A. Cass
Date: August 24, 2009