Town of Antrim – Board of Selectmen
September 13, 2010
The meeting was called to order at 5:01 pm by Chairman of the Board of Selectmen Gordon Webber at the Antrim Town Hall.
Members Present: Gordon Webber and Eric Tenney (Michael Genest excused)
Staff Present: Galen Stearns (Town Administrator)
1. Mr. David Duffy stated that he would be tape recording the meeting.
2. Mr. Tenney motioned to accept the minutes of August 30, 2010 and the Non- Public minutes of August 30 and September 2, 2010, Mr. Webber seconded the motion. Passed 2/0.
3. Mr. Stearns gave the board an update on the fuel storage area clean-up at the Highway Department garage. The fuel tanks were removed from the site on September 9, 2010 and the soil inside the cement walls was removed to a level acceptable by the representative from Ransom Environmental. The soil between the garage and the fuel storage area was excavated to a depth of around 18 feet. All contaminated soil was transported to ESMI for disposal. Ransom collected soil samples for final testing in order to submit the final closure reports to NH DES. The cost while approximate will be approximately $13,426 for this clean up. Questions from the public asked what the limits for a spill were before it has to be reported to the DES, Mr. Stearns will research this issue.
4. Ms. Jeanne Baker –
a. Signs – Ms. Baker addressed the board as a follow up to her request at an earlier BOS meeting concerning having signs placed along Gregg Lake road to try and slow traffic and had requested that the Town identify the cost of purchasing signs. Mr. Stearns stated that the signs cost $54.00 each. The total cost to install the sign would include the cost of the post, assembly, and installation of the signs. Ms. Baker stated that she has identified between 10 and 14 signs that she wants installed. Mr. Stearns stated that he does not have confidence that the signs will slow traffic and presented a catalog showing temporary speed bumps which can be placed at the start of the season (spring) and removed in the fall so that they do not interfere with snow plowing. Ms. Baker
stated that she still believe that in addition to the speed bumps that the signs are needed. She will have a diagram showing the signs and locations for the boards next meeting.
b. Pedestrian traffic – A question was raised about pedestrians walking along the sides of the road and if there was any law governing which side of the road they should be walking on. Mr. Stearns will research.
c. Boy Scout Shelter – Ms. Baker told the board that the shelter that was built by the Boy Scouts earlier on the point appears to be in danger of falling over. It was stated that it appears that the wrong size screw had been used to construct the shelter and that it did not appear that the correct structural supports were used. Mr. Stearns will look into this issue.
5. Sidewalk Phase II - Mr. Stearns at the request of the board had contacted the NH DOT to find out if the Town is liable for monies paid to the Town from the State if the project is cancelled. Mr. Stearns stated that the Town will be responsible to reimburse the State $16,369.13. Mr. Tenney motioned to reimburse the NH DOT for monies received from the State for canceling the Sidewalk Phase II project and to officially notify the State that Antrim wishes to cancel this project. Mr. Webber seconded the motion. Passed 2/0
6. Mr. Duffy –
a. Town deficit and TAN’s. Mr. Duffy asked what the status of the deficit was and if it has been eliminated. Mr. Stearns stated that the deficit would be eliminated by the end of the year. Mr. Tenney stated that the $450,000 does not help until the end o f the year after the taxes have been collected. Mr. Stearns stated that the TAN had been paid off in July but that we would be utilizing TAN monies starting this month and would probably be using between $600,000 to $800,000 until tax revenues are received in December.
b. FEMA monies in 2010: Mr. Duffy asked if FEMA monies had been received in 2010 and Mr. Stearns stated that to date $11,655.73 had been received for the March storm. Mr. Duffy asked if the monies were for specific projects and Mr. Stearns stated that these were for total costs incurred by the Town to repair damage through out the Town and covered material, equipment, manpower, overtime but not only for the Highway Department but also the Police Department, Fire Department and Water/Sewer Department.
7. Mr. Stearns stated that a letter has been received from the State that our Health Officer needed to be re-appointed. The board questioned who the previous Health Officer was and what the duties of a Health Officer consisted of and did not want to take any actions until this was know. Mr. Stearns will research.
There being no further business, the Mr. Tenney motioned to adjourn, Mr. Webber seconded, passed 2/0 at 6:30 PM.