Town of Antrim – Board of Selectmen
May 2, 2011
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM by Chairman of the Board of Selectmen Michael Genest in the Antrim Town Hall.
Members Present: Mr. Genest, Mr. Tenney and Mr. Robertson
Staff Present: Galen Stearns (Town Administrator)
- Mr. Robertson motioned and Mr. Tenney 2nd to approve the minutes of April18, 2011. Passed 3/0
- Mr. Robertson motioned and Mr. Tenney 2nd to approve the minutes of April 20, 2011 Non-public session. Passed 3/0
- Mr. Robertson motioned and Mr. Tenney 2nd to approve the minutes of April 22, 2011 Passed 3/0
- Ratification of SEC Letters - Mr. Genest stated that Mr. Stearns had drafted two letters that needed to be submitted to the SEC prior to their April 22 hearing. The first letter supporting the SEC taking jurisdiction of the project was to verify that the position taken by the BOS in January had not changed. The second letter expressed the board’s position opposing the planning board as intervenors. The board had informed the planning board of the opinion from town counsel, that the selectmen are the governing body of the town and are the only ones who can speak on behalf of the town.
Mr. Hankard submitted a letter of protest, Ms. Nelkens asked what the legal budget for the town was and how much had been spent on the SEC issue, Mr. Stearns will follow up.
Mr. Genest motioned - I move that we ratify the April 20, 2011 letter sent to the Site Evaluation Committee supporting the SEC taking jurisdiction of the Antrim Wind Energy LLC project. Mr. Robertson seconded. Passed 3/0
Mr. Genest motioned - I move that we ratify the April 20, 2011 letter sent to the Site Evaluation Committee objecting to the Petition by the planning board to intervene.
Mr. Robertson seconded. Passed 3/0
- Cemetery perpetual care funds – Mr. Stearns read the warrant article from March 2008 Town Meeting (art. 18) where the Town accepted the North Branch Cemetery and said that there was nothing in the article that prevented the establishment of a Trust Fund for cemeteries. Mr. Tenney was concerned that any monies collected for a specific cemetery only be used for that plot / cemetery. Mr. Stearns explained that it was very unlikely that the Trust fund proceeds would ever exceed what the Town expends on cemetery maintenance. Mr. Robertson motioned to place funds collected for the sale of cemetery plots in a Trust Fund for cemetery care. Mr. Tenney seconded. Passed 3/0
- Mr. Stearns read a letter from Thelma Nichols submitting her resignation from the Parks and Recreation Commission. Mr. Tenney motioned to accept Ms. Nichols’ resignation with thanks for her service to the Town, Mr. Robertson seconded. Passed 3/0
- Mr. Stearns presented a request from the State for the Town to appoint a Health Officer, Ms. Nelkens volunteered for the position. Mr. Stearns will research the position and present to the BOS next meeting.
- Mr. Stearns asked the board how they want to proceed with filling the Town Planner position. The Board would like to have input form both the Planning Board and the Zoning Board of Adjustment. Mr. Stearns will contact both boards.
- Mr. Gould presented the board with the time capsule that was found when the base for the war monument was removed in preparation of installing a new base. Mr. Gould said that the Town Highway Department found the box in the middle of the cement blocks used for the old foundation. There was discussion on what to do with the time capsule and Mr. Gould and Mr. Tenney will work together to have the box opened and the contents documented and photographed and displayed for as long a possible before being resealed and placed in the middle of the new base being made for the granite monument.
- Mr. Beblowski questioned the board on their reasons for not appointing him as an alternate to the ZBA; Mr. Genest quoted the letter sent addressing their concern with his being Conservation Commission Chairman.
- Mr. Hankard requested to read a letter submitted by Peter Moore to Attorney Roth questioning the boards letters submitted to the SEC. Mr. Hankard read the letter.
- Mr. Duffy questioned the board on painting the crosswalks and stated that the Highway Department has a sprayer and could have painted the crosswalks, Mr. Stearns explained that a rubberized paint would be used to see if that would last longer than regular crosswalk paint.
- Mr. Duffy requested that a pothole on Pleasant Street be filled, Mr. Stearns will speak with the Road Agent.
- Ms. Nelkens and Mr. Beblowski both inquired about the land used for the met tower and want to know if this area was removed from current use. Mr. Stearns will research.
There being no further business, the Mr. Robertson motioned to adjourn, Mr. Genest 2nd, passed 3/0 meeting adjourned at 8:13 PM.