Town of Antrim–Board of Selectmen
August 31, 2015
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM by Chairman Webber in the Little Town Hall.
Members Present: Gordon Webber (Chair), Michael Genest
Staff present: Donna Hanson (Town Administrator)
Absent: John Robertson
- Mr. Webber moved to approve the Board of Selectmen (BOS) minutes of August 17, 2015; Mr. Genest seconded. Passed 2/0
Mr. Webber read the Public Hearing notice which was published in the Ledger Transcript on 8/20/2015. Abutters had been notified and there were no responses. Mr. Webber opened the Public Hearing for the Barn Preservation Easement request made by Mark and Susan Ellingwood, Smith Road, Tax Map 232-005. Ms. Priscila Shook and Mr. Charles Boucher spoke in favor of the Easement due to the historic value of the barn. The Ellingwood’s understood that this would take place in 2016 due to the fact that the application was turned in too late to consider it for 2015. Mr. Genest moved to approve the application with a 75% deduction for a ten year period. Mr. Webber seconded. Passed 2/0
- There was discussion with Lori Barg, President of Steels Pond Hydro Inc. concerning her request to enter into a Payment in Lieu of Taxes (PILOT) with the Town of Antrim. The selectmen have contracted with George Sansoucy, PE, LLC to assess the Hydro Plant and to advise the selectmen on a PILOT with Steels Pond Hydro. Mr. Sansoucy recommended that the Town not enter into a PILOT at this time because there isn’t enough revenue information as the plant is not at full capacity. This does not mean that the Town will not enter into a PILOT in the future, but it is not in the best interest of the town to do so now. The plant has been assessed at $455,200.00. Ms. Barg expressed concern that Steel Pond Hydro Inc. would not be able to afford the taxes. Mr. Webber discussed the possibility of a 1 year PILOT. Mr. Genest didn’t feel it was in the best interest of
the Town to enter in to a short term PILOT of any kind until Mr. Sansoucy’s concerns have been addressed. The Selectmen decided to see how Mr. Robertson felt about the issue. It was also stated that any PILOT would start at the earliest in 2016 and would not be applicable for 2015.
- Mr. Genest asked the Town Administrator to draft a letter requesting departments to prepare their budgets for selectmen’s meetings beginning in the fall. They would like to see budgets stay flat with the exception of a 2% merit increase. The flat budget is requested due to the anticipated high cost of Highland Ave/Pleasant Street project.
- There was discussion that the next bridge in the State bridge program would be West Street over Great Brook. This will be a warrant articles for town meeting.
- Mr. Genest asked the Town Administrator to complete the wage scale update that hadn’t been done in several years.
- After no further business Mr. Webber moved to adjourn. Seconded by Mr. Genest. Passed 2/0
Meeting adjourned 9:15 PM
Respectfully submitted, Donna Hanson, Town Administrator