Town of Antrim–Board of Selectmen
January 29, 2018
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM by Selectman Michael Genest in the Little Town Hall.
Members Present: John Robertson, Michael Genest, Robert Edwards
Others Present: Matthew Miller, Water & Sewer Department
- Mr. Robertson moved to approve the minutes of January 8, 2018 and January 17, 2018. Mr. Edwards seconded. Passed 3/0.
- Mr. Robertson moved to approve the non-public minutes of January 16, 2018. Mr. Edwards seconded. Passed 3/0.
- Following the public hearing on January 16, 2018 regarding the Board of Selectmen (BOS) requested changes to the Irrevocable Letter of Credit (ILOC); Attorney Richardson was told by Antrim Wind LLC that the bank would not change the notification requirements. The BOS did not want notification by courier because it could allow a delivery without a signature.~ Attorney Richardson informed Ms. Hanson that the bank has deleted the words “or courier” in the ILOC. Notification will be by “registered mail return receipt requested”.
- Mr. Miller discussed the proposed warrant article for the replacement of the 2004 F 250 Water and Sewer truck. Mr. Miller said the Water & Sewer Department is on a 10 year rotation plan for the two trucks the department has. Every 5 years a truck is replaced. They would like the Selectmen to finance the $30,000.00 truck for 5 years with the payments being made from the Water & Sewer department budget. Mr. Miller said the commissioners would rather not spend the reserves for the truck because of all the money that has and will be spent on a new well location. Mr.Genest thought the current truck looked to be in good condition and wondered since it has only 75,000 miles would it be possible to get a few more years out of it? Mr. Genest said he struggles with spending $30,000 for a new truck because the Water and
Sewer department has potential million dollar projects coming up for the new well and river crossing. Therefore Mr. Genest feels it is time to tighten the belt. Mr. Genest asked if it was a unanimous decision by the Commissioners to get the truck. Mr. Miller said that Mr. Harding voted against it so it was a 2/1 vote. Mr. Genest said it is a red flag that the Commissioners want to finance this and not take it out of reserves which means they don’t feel confident that there is enough in reserves. Mr. Edwards said that the payments for the truck would be taken out of the operating budget and not the reserves. Mr. Miller felt if we keep the truck too long we’ll end up replacing both trucks at the same time. Mr. Edwards said he doesn’t think that spending the debt service on this will have a material effect on future water & sewer capital projects. Mr. Miller said there will be grant money out there to help with the capital projects. Mr. Robertson said he’s concerned that
there is rust on the truck and the department could end up having to spend more money on maintenance than it is worth. The request will be voted on at the budget hearing by the Board of Selectmen (BOS).
- Ms. Hanson will check to confirm that A.R.T.S. capital reserves can be included in the Highway department reserves.
- The proposed 2018 operating budget was reviewed. The proposed health insurance budget was reduced by $10,000.00 due to a full time position becoming a part time position. There was discussion regarding the fund balance being higher this year due to unanticipated funds from the State and Antrim Wind. The unanticipated funds will be used to replace two red listed bridges this year.
- Other Business:
- Mr. Genest moved to sign the Department of Transportation notice stating that they will be putting a new surface on Rt. 202 from Rt. 31 to Bennington. Mr. Robertson seconded. Passed 3/0
- Ms. Hanson confirmed that the BOS read the letter Attorney Richardson wrote regarding Mary Allan’s request to see if AWE had everything completed to start construction. Ms. Hanson will forward the letter to Mrs. Allan.
- Mr. Genest moved to approve a request for a refund by Susan Wright on Gregg Lake Road regarding a trailer she registered in error. Mr. Robertson seconded. Passed 3/0
- The BOS will add a warrant article to dissolve the Advisory Budget Committee due to no interest over the last several years.
- Ms. Hanson reported that
Property & Liability insurance premium increases will be capped at 7% for the next three years.
- After no further business Mr. Genest moved to adjourn at 8:55 PM. Mr. Edwards seconded. Passed 3/0
Respectfully submitted, Donna Hanson, Town Administrator